American Universities in Europe

The American higher education system has many advantages – a flexible curriculum, a variety of courses, transfer choices, study abroad opportunities and more. But for some American and International students, the dream of studying in Europe is just as strong as their desire to obtain an American degree. Some students may wish to learn a foreign language and travel through Europe without compromising their university education. Others may wish to study in Europe, but have not mastered the language requirements to do so at a European university. And yet others may just want to stay home while obtaining an American degree. For many, the solution is to attend an American university in Europe. Here is a list of universities that follow the American higher education system. Most of these universities offer academic degrees and are accredited by US commissions and local country authorities.


Webster University Vienna


Boston University Brussels – Graduate Programs

Vesalius College


American University in Bulgaria


American Graduate School in Paris

American University in Paris

Georgia Institute of Technology Lorraine

Parsons School of Design, Paris

Schiller International University Paris

Schiller International University Strasbourg

Touro College France


Jacobs University Bremen

Schiller International University Germany

Touro College Berlin – The American College in Berlin


American College of Greece

American College of Thessaloniki

American University of Athens

Hellenic American University


McDaniel College Budapest


American College Dublin


American University of Rome

John Cabot University in Rome

Johns Hopkins University SAIS

St John’s University


Webster University in Leiden


Saint Louis University

Schiller International University Madrid

Suffolk University


American Graduate School of Business

Franklin College in Switzerland

International University in Geneva – Business School

Webster University in Geneva

The United Kingdom

American Intercontinental University

Hult International Business School

Regent’s American College London

Richmond, The American International University in London

Schiller International University London

Webster Graduate School London

If you would like to add an American university with a European campus to this list, please contact me at

Related Posts:

50 comments to American Universities in Europe

  • Alisha

    I live in Canada and really want to go to the school in Rome. Does one need to be American or European to be considered? Do they prefer American students?

    • Denisse Romero

      Alisha – I suggest contacting the specific university you would like to attend and ask them about admissions requirements for Canadian citizens. I don’t think there is a preference, but visa requirements might be a bit different. Good luck!

  • lori

    I live in Albania and I want to study medicine.I am 17 years old. At first i wanted to go in USA but now i am seeing some universities here in Europe. Can you please say me which of these american universities in Europe provide a medicine degree?

    • Denisse Romero

      Lori – The medical education system in the USA is a bit different. First, you need to obtain a traditional college degree (bachelor’s of arts or sciences/4 years). Second, you need to complete a certain number of science and math courses. Third, you need to take the MCAT test and apply to medical schools. This process is very competitive and only a small number of applicants is accepted to medical school every year. Once in medical school, it takes 4 years to graduate as a medical doctor. This is just a basic summary. In general, US medical schools only accept a limited number of international students unlike business or engineering programs, which do not have limitations.

      The path for an international student to become a medical doctor in the US is a bit complex, but not impossible. I usually suggest international students to complete their medical degrees in their countries and apply to a medical specialization and residence program in the US.

  • mona

    hi there;

    i am studying councelling psychology at one of the best universities in Iran. i love continiuing my studying at amrerican universities in usa. but people have told me that if i go usa i will face many financial problems, so i have decided to find american universities in europe. unfortunately those universities that have been mentioned above, dont have my major at graduate program. so i am really confused what should i do.
    is somebody there who can help me to solve my problem

    appriciate you

    • Denisse Romero

      Mona – You have a couple of options:

      1. Apply to a PhD or PsyD program in the USA. Most PhD programs cover tuition and expenses and offer assitantships to their doctoral students. Some PsyD programs offer assistance as well.
      2. Apply to a Psychology program in Europe. Research psychology programs that offer financial assistance to international students.

      The first option requires that you finish your psychology degree in Iran before attending a doctoral program. Good luck!

  • Corinne Murphy

    Hello, I am an American looking to go to school in Germany or the UK, it seems like there are no schools in Germany that I can go to without having to go to another school before attending university. I was looking into schools in Munich, do you know of any American schools there? Also, In Europe, is it possible for an American to receive a loan for college? Thanks!

  • How difficult are admissions to these schools and how recognized are the degrees in the US.In my case a business degree. I am from America born and raised but I am under the assumption that a british education is highly respected in the finnacial world.

  • Pat Anton

    My son is studying at Deree College, The American College of Greece. After he graduates, he wants to go to a university in Canada for a Master’s degree. Are these degrees from Deree recognized in Canada?

    • Denisse Romero

      Deree has U.S. accreditation, therefore it should be considered a U.S. college for transcript and admissions purposes anywhere in the world. I would suggest contacting the university in Canada for more details.

  • Lisa

    Dear Sir/Madame

    I am concering about Webster University Vienna. Is it a good uni?
    Thank in advance

  • Ellie Mackintosh

    I’m from new Zealand and i’m wanting to go to a University overseas but are loans avaliable? and Our school qualifications are different to that of Europe and would I be accepted into a University in France or Spain when i don’t speak the lauguage but really want to learn it? your advice would be great thanks.

    • Denisse Romero

      Ellie – For universities in France or Spain, you will need to speak the language. Try enrolling in language courses right now if this is your goal. Is there a French Alliance center in your city/region? If so, contact them and ask them about their language classes as well as help to apply to French universities. Loans are usually not available directly from the university, but they might be available from your country’s banks or government entities that offer education loans. Also, some universities are relatively inexpensive. There are some programs, in Sweden for example, where tuition fees do not exist for local or international students.

      The American Universities listed on this page only require you to speak English, and most of them have a financial aid office that might work with you on getting you education loans. Contact them directly for more information. Good luck!

  • holly

    I live in canada and im looking to either attend one of these universities, most likely in france or spain for european studies. Is this possible with me being a canadian citizen? please answer as soon as possible !
    thank you!

    • Denisse Romero

      Holly – You should contact the Admissions office of these universities, but in general you should be able to attend as long as you are able to obtain the required visa for these countries. Again, please contact the universities directly for details.

  • Karyn T

    I would like to go to an American university in a european nation where someone will be able to get by on English. I speak French, but have no desire to live in France and am trying to stay away from the UK. I know this sounds like too much but the USA is really tough with visas. Can anyone offer advice?

    • Denisse Romero

      English is a common second or third language in most of Europe, so you have many options in that regard. However, I suggest that once there, you try to learn the native language of that country to open your horizons and opportunities. You mention you speak French, so what about Belgium or Switzerland? You could also do some research on Norway, Sweden or Finland. English is very popular in those countries and there are a few graduate programs taught completely in English. Good luck!

  • Shawn

    What constitutes an American College in Europe? Accreditation? If so I think that CEU (Central European University) in Budapest qualifies right?

  • mona

    I am going to an American school in Egypt and I was wondering if I can get a scholarship so I can visit a university in Europe as I am also a German citizen!
    I also heard that I can go to college when I am done with grade 11 if I have a high SAT score…is that somehow possible?
    could you please tell me what i could do to achieve this or where to ask?
    thanks a lot

  • Ali

    I want to go to an american school in France but it is like all of these are either Business schools or do not seem to offer the program I want to do which is a Master’s in Psychology. Or maybe I am just not seeing it. Do any offer a master’s in psychology and/or are there any other universities American-affiliated that do?

  • Debbie Galicia

    We live in Slovakia and would like our son to have an American education as we are from California. Can we get financial aid for these American colleges in Europe in the same way you get financial aid in the States?

    • Denisse Romero

      Hi Debbie – Most likely yes. I encourage you to contact the admissions departments directly and inquire about US financial aid. Most of these universities are either branches or are associated with universities in the states and their financial aid processes follow the same US rules.

  • Louisa Samson

    My daughter has been accepted at The American University in Bulgaria.We live in South Africa.
    Why is this University not listed on this site?
    My daughter applied to this college as an alternative as she failed to get financial aid in the USA,but her first choice remains the USA – Drake University.
    Can she transfer after a year to another University in the USA ??

    • Denisse Romero

      Hi Louisa, Thanks for your comment. We’re constantly updating this site, so we welcome a new addition to this evolving list of American Universities in Europe. It seems the American University in Bulgaria is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and this is a must for transfer purposes. Many universities in the US will only accept transcripts from accredited universities, so I think your daughter will not have any problems in this regard transferring to a US college. She needs to visit the websites or contact the admissions office of the universities she is interested in applying to, and see what the transfer/admissions requirements are for international students. Good luck!

Leave a Reply





You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Current day month ye@r *